Etiquette for Parksville Parks and Open Spaces
Find your next family outing, outdoor activity or year-round adventure, thereís something for everyone to enjoy in our many outdoor spaces. Access to the outdoors helps to develop a healthy community; the City works to provide clean, safe, and beautiful spaces for your enjoyment.
As stewards of our open spaces, we are committed to sustainability and building a legacy for future generations. Everyone is welcome to enjoy our parks and open spaces. Help us keep these spaces clean and safe for park users, neighbours, residents and when visiting, please consider your environmental impact.
- Stay on trails and open lawns. Do not pick, trample or remove plants, flowers, berries or other natural items. Leave things how you found them.
- Leave no trace: Pack your waste where possible out of the park and dispose of it appropriately at home. Do not leave unnatural items in parks (e.g. painted rocks,
- No metal detectors or digging in parks. Digging can disturb sensitive areas that you may not be aware of.
- Trash cans are for park use only. Do not fill a City garbage can with your residential or commercial waste.
- Give wildlife space. Watch animals from trails to minimize their stress. Do not feed them or disturb their nests. Animals are safer and healthier when they don't become accustomed to people.
- Protect our creeks. Footsteps stir up silt in streams which can suffocate fish, destroy spawning habitat and crush salmon eggs. Do not create new trails to access natural areas.
- Keep your dog on a leash unless visiting our designated off-leash
dog park. And please, pick up after your dog.
- Respect the rights of other users. Avoid crowding high-traffic areas.
- Selling or bartering of goods is allowed with a permit only.
- Consumption of alcohol and cannabis is not allowed. No alcohol without required permits.
- Beaches are not monitored by a lifeguard.
- Obey all parking regulations. Violators will be ticketed and may be towed. No parking on grass areas without a permit.
- Camping, campfires and fireworks are not permitted.
- Watch your language please. Our spaces are for all ages to enjoy.
- Donít blast your music. You might love your playlist but not everyone has the same taste in music.
- Reservations are available for park facilities; those with reservations have priority use of the space.
- Check an area for your safety before you occupy it.
- Limit casual play in sport facilities if someone is waiting for access.
- No golfing in parks or City sport facilities.
Trail and waterfront walkway courtesy
- Stay right except to pass.
- Keep dogs on short leash.
- Walk/run only two abreast.
- Stay on designated pedestrian trails.
- If you are part of an event, please show respect to
non-event users of trails.
- Cyclists must slow down when approaching pedestrians and use bell or voice to warn others when passing. Use extra caution when approaching children