Garbage and Recycling
Improved service offerings:
- Customizable collection cart sizes to best suit your household needs
- No weight restrictions
- Improved worker health and safety
- Improved neighbourhood esthetics by keeping materials contained
- Reduced human-wildlife interactions
Easy to roll carts with attached lids for convenient and efficient disposal of recyclables, food waste and garbage.
Real-time information for better customer service.
The RDN is now delivering the automated curbside collection carts selected by residents in 2019. If you have not yet received your cart or have questions or concerns contact the RDN by phone, 250 390-6501 (1 877 607-4111, ext 6501) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit https://www.getinvolved.rdn.ca/curbsidecollection for information on pick up schedules, a list of helpful FAQís and up-to-date information on the upcoming curbside collection service change.
Prior to the new automated curbside collection service, blue boxes and recycling bags can be purchased through Waste Connections of Canada (formerly Progressive Waste Solutions) located in the Industrial Park at 1151 Herring Gull Way, Parksville.Need some information about what you can put into your curbside containers? The Materials Preparation Guide can help.
Food Waste Bin CollectionWeekly food waste collection will remain part of the new automated curbside collection service for all single family homes in Parksville, Qualicum Beach, Lantzville, City of Nanaimo and in Regional District of Nanaimo Electoral Areas. The food waste composting program is an important part of the regionís Zero Waste Plan, and a key step in achieving the overall goal of diverting 90 percent of the regionís waste from the landfill.
The following items are prohibited:
- Lawn clippings or yard trimmings
- Plastics including biodegradable bags
- Soil, sod or rocks
- Diapers and other personal hygiene items
- Pet waste
- Line your containers with newspaper, paper bags or certified compostable bags or place your scraps in loose.
- No plastic bags, plastic containers, Styrofoam, metal or glass in the food waste bin.
Collection Route Lookup and What goes where?
Garbage, food waste and recycling collection information is available here.
The Church Road Transfer Station, located at 860 Church Road, Parksville, receives residential and commercial waste (School District 69). The Transfer Station is open daily 8 am to 5 pm and closed on statutory holidays.